Sunday, March 4, 2012

on belay

Over the past month a direct relationship has revealed itself: Days I climb, I go to bed content and with a sense of possibility for the next day.  I sleep deeply.  Days I don't climb, I don't sleep; when night falls I'm too restless, a mind churning, a body buzzing.  This embodied fact makes it clear how critical climbing is to my wellbeing.

I don't want to be an addict, but I already am.

--

I'm a beginner.  OK, I've been climbing for a year and a half, but I still count myself a novice.  Because I feel like a weak klutz 90% of the time I'm on the rock.  Because I have so, so much to learn.  Because I still haven't sent 5.10.  Because I say shit like "Slab climbing is so relaxing."*  Noob status!

I live in Santa Fe, NM.  Don't tell, but it's a local's climbing heaven.  Within an hour and a half's drive you can climb granite slabs, overhanging conglomerate, monzonite mulit-pitch, and a slew of basalt crags — year round.  I've never had to worry about the weather, just how many layers to bring and whether I need sunscreen.  It's a privilege to get to learn the craft here in the high desert.

--

So, I started this blog.  "Climbing really straightens me out," as a friend of mine once said, and I feel the same way.  Afterwards I'm at once relaxed and focused, and insights flow.  I'd like corral them here.  My interests run from climbing as a movement discipline to its gear to the cultural and political implications of the sport.

Thanks for reading.

--

*actual quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment